pan 0.139-4+b1 fails to start

Hi
Since this morning's upgrade, pan (0.139-4+b1) fails to start. (Other details at bottom)

a.  Is it just me?
b.  Has any other sufferer found a solution?

c. Might it come to abandoning evolution/pan for icedove or another (pairing)?

If I delete/rename/mv the file preferences.xml from /home/daud/.pan2/
OR
if I comment out/delete the lines beginning with
<string name='last- , i.e.

<string name='last-opened-msg' value='&<snip>@<snip>&gt;'/>
<string name='last-visited-group' value='linux.debian.user'/>

pan starts fine. Of course, in either case, preferences.xml gets rewritten so this work-around is temporary/unsatisfactory. (This from https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3wbewa/pan_newsreader_crashes_fix/)

My limited proficiency means I cannot see anything in the <string* lines that looks controversial - or indeed in the rest of preferences.xml

Google produces a number of hits going back several years without resolution or explanation. This bug or one very like it has obviously been arolund for quite a while. The most recent Google result is http://www.eenyhelp.com/bug-812833-pan-wont-start-aborts-error-help-215935801.html which doesn't sound promising, although why the pan team should have introduced a version with a serious bug then disappeared is beyond me (and I suspect not the answer).

**Details**

daud@debian:~$ pan --debug

(article-cache.cc:170:ArticleCache) loaded 24 articles into cache from /home/david/.pan2/article-cache GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name news.pan.NZB was not provided by any .service files
**
ERROR:pan-tree.cc:80:GtkTreeIter PanTreeStore::get_iter(const PanTreeStore::Row*): assertion failed: (row)
Aborted

daud@debian:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
stretch/sid

daud@debian:~$ uname -a
Linux debian 4.3.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.3.3-7 (2016-01-19) x86_64 GNU/Linux

daud@debian:~$ cat /var/log/apt/history.log

Start-Date: 2016-01-28  08:56:47
Commandline: apt-get dist-upgrade
Requested-By: daud (1000)
Install: <snip>
pan:amd64 (0.139-4, 0.139-4+b1)
<snip>
End-Date: 2016-01-28  08:57:16

(lots more was upgraded - I could give the lot if you like, but only this looked relevant)