Re: Problem with udev upgrading from wheezy to jessie

On Tue 26 Jan 2016 at 22:38:36 +0200, Selim T. Erdoğan wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 01:41:24PM +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
>
> > You can force the upgrade of the udev by creating the flag file
> > /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade simply by running something like
> > touch /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade
> > The run the udev installation again. No special --force flags are necessary.
> >
> > If you do *not upgrade the kernel afterwards *before* rebooting, it can
> > lead to an unbootable system.
> >
> > I thought the error message from udev was pretty clear, but apparently
> > it isn't?
>
> The way I read it, the part in capitals grabs all the attention and
> breaks the flow of the main sentence.  When I first read it (admittedly
> not carefully enough) I thought it meant "Installing this version of
> udev will break the system at next reboot.  It will do this by creating
> the /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade file." :)

It's primarily a "comma" problem, but the capitals do not help and the
"AT YOUR OWN RISK" and "WILL BREAK YOUR SYSTEM" are superfluous.
Any action carried out on a computer is done at the user's risk and if
it does not work with the running kernel it will obviously break the
system.

This might be an improvement:

  You can force the installation of this version of udev, WHICH WILL NOT
  WORK WITH YOUR PRESENT, RUNNING KERNEL AT THE NEXT REBOOT, by creating
  the /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade file.

"force" and "creating" are still somewhat dissociated from each other.
The two ideas would be better expressed in two sentences.

Alternatively:

  Please upgrade your kernel before or after upgrading udev. This
  version of udev will not work with the kernel you are using at
  present. If you do not upgrade the kernel before rebooting it can
  lead to an unbootable system.

  You can force the installation of this version of udev by creating the
  file /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade.

> I think it would have been much clearer if it had been:
>
> AT YOUR OWN RISK, you can force the installation of this version of
> udev, by creating the /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade file.  However, this
> version of udev does not work with your running kernel, so, after
> upgrading udev, you MUST also upgrade the kernel before rebooting.
> OTHERWISE YOU WILL BREAK YOUR SYSTEM AT THE NEXT REBOOT.

The first two commas are not necessary.