Re: Problem with udev upgrading from wheezy to jessie

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 01:41:24PM +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Am 26.01.2016 um 11:08 schrieb Chris Bannister:
> > On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 11:58:16AM +0100, Martin Hanson wrote:
> >>
> >> Please upgrade your kernel before or while upgrading udev.
> >>
> >> AT YOUR OWN RISK, you can force the installation of this version of udev
> >> WHICH DOES NOT WORK WITH YOUR RUNNING KERNEL AND WILL BREAK YOUR SYSTEM
> >> AT THE NEXT REBOOT by creating the /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade file.

> You can force the upgrade of the udev by creating the flag file
> /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade simply by running something like
> touch /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade
> The run the udev installation again. No special --force flags are necessary.
>
> If you do *not upgrade the kernel afterwards *before* rebooting, it can
> lead to an unbootable system.
>
> I thought the error message from udev was pretty clear, but apparently
> it isn't?

The way I read it, the part in capitals grabs all the attention and
breaks the flow of the main sentence.  When I first read it (admittedly
not carefully enough) I thought it meant "Installing this version of
udev will break the system at next reboot.  It will do this by creating
the /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade file." :)

I think it would have been much clearer if it had been:

AT YOUR OWN RISK, you can force the installation of this version of
udev, by creating the /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade file.  However, this
version of udev does not work with your running kernel, so, after
upgrading udev, you MUST also upgrade the kernel before rebooting.
OTHERWISE YOU WILL BREAK YOUR SYSTEM AT THE NEXT REBOOT.