Re: Problem with udev upgrading from wheezy to jessie

Am 26.01.2016 um 11:08 schrieb Chris Bannister:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 11:58:16AM +0100, Martin Hanson wrote:
>>
>> Please upgrade your kernel before or while upgrading udev.
>>
>> AT YOUR OWN RISK, you can force the installation of this version of udev
>> WHICH DOES NOT WORK WITH YOUR RUNNING KERNEL AND WILL BREAK YOUR SYSTEM
>> AT THE NEXT REBOOT by creating the /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade file.
>
> I read this as force the installation of udev (man dpkg search for
> force) so, trying to decipher 'dpkg --force-help' I get

The maintainer script of udev checks in the preinst phase, if the
installed and running kernel has all necessary features to run udev
successfully. If it doesn't it bails out.

If you are using a Debian provided kernel, it has all necessary features
enabled, so this problem should only happen if you have a self-compiled
kernel.

You can force the upgrade of the udev by creating the flag file
/etc/udev/kernel-upgrade simply by running something like
touch /etc/udev/kernel-upgrade
The run the udev installation again. No special --force flags are necessary.

If you do *not upgrade the kernel afterwards *before* rebooting, it can
lead to an unbootable system.

I thought the error message from udev was pretty clear, but apparently
it isn't?

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?