Re: getting sound in Sid

Haines Brown wrote:

> On my desktop, I'm running Debian Wheezy and Skype 4.3.0.37-1. I
> installed pulseaudio and pavucontrol, and after some fiddling got Skype
> working. The absence of systemd on this machine causes no problems,
> although I see that libsystemd-daemon0 and libsystemd-login0 are
> installed. However, Skype's audio breaks up and video is terrible, which
> is why I'm trying to set Skype up on my Sid laptop.

Are you sue that the wheezy system is responsible for that braking up?
And why would you go to Sid and not to jessie which is stable?

> So the question is, what does it mean if $ aptitude show
> pulseaudio/pavucontrol does not show systemd as a dependent, but when I
> start to install either, systemd will be installed. There should be a
> way to install them while preventing systemd from being dragged in at
> the same time.
>
> Haines

This is also a good doc to handle various debian version without systemd
http://without-systemd.org

In fact I was using the setup from here until I had the time to update all
outstanding part.
I updated first pulseaudio and skype - used it for few days and it was
working fine.
After this I rolled back the steps from without-systemd.org

I hope this helps