Re: getting sound in Sid

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 09:58:24PM +0100, deloptes wrote:
> Last skype version which worked without pulse was 4.2 (4.2.0.13).
> So if you want to run the 4.3 you need pulse and probably systemd, though I
> was running it with pulse without systemd in jessie, so this must be
> something new and related to pulse.
> The 4.2 version had a problem with login, which could be solved only from
> within 4.3.

On my desktop, I'm running Debian Wheezy and Skype 4.3.0.37-1. I
installed pulseaudio and pavucontrol, and after some fiddling got Skype
working. The absence of systemd on this machine causes no problems,
although I see that libsystemd-daemon0 and libsystemd-login0 are
installed. However, Skype's audio breaks up and video is terrible, which
is why I'm trying to set Skype up on my Sid laptop.

So the question is, what does it mean if $ aptitude show
pulseaudio/pavucontrol does not show systemd as a dependent, but when I
start to install either, systemd will be installed. There should be a
way to install them while preventing systemd from being dragged in at
the same time.

Haines