Re: getting sound in Sid

Haines Brown wrote:

> Floris, thanks. I understand that ALSA is present, but to run Skype I
> need pavucontrol and pulseaudio. I installed skype:i386 successfully in
> my 64-bit Thinkpad, but no sound. Discussions are ambivalent, but I
> sense that both pavucontrol and pulseaudio are needed to get Skype
> going.
>
> However, with pavucontrol I run into trouble. I find that pavucontrol
> 3.0-3+b2 in the Debian Sid repository has systemd as a dependency. I had
> removed systemd from my SID installation, and don't want it.
>
> pavucontrol 1.0-1 does not need systemd. I have in hand the source code
> for pavucontrol 2.0, but don't know if it requires systemd. Also I don't
> know if compiled it will be compatible with pulseaudio 7.1-2.
>
> Haines Brown

Last skype version which worked without pulse was 4.2 (4.2.0.13).
So if you want to run the 4.3 you need pulse and probably systemd, though I
was running it with pulse without systemd in jessie, so this must be
something new and related to pulse.
The 4.2 version had a problem with login, which could be solved only from
within 4.3.

After I installed it I also did not have sound (in jessie) and then played
for some time with the  Test Call and the pulse settings. I think the trick
was to unmute the input channel for skype application or alike.

I hope this helps