Re: How To Control Fan Speed on Older Compaq Proliant ML350

On Sun, 2016-01-24 at 11:20 -0800, gc@maillr.com wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have an older Compaq Proliant ML350 (Dual Intel Pentium® III 1.0
> GHz
> Model) running Debian Wheezy that I have been using for many MANY
> MEEE
> NEEEE years as a web server. It works great, everything is fine, I
> will
> continue to run it until the end of time. lol
>
> That said, I have tried off and on thru the years to control the fan
> speed. It runs constantly at full speed. It's very loud. I have
> tried
> using fancontrol and could never figure out how to get it to work on
> this system; and while on other systems fancontrol works perfectly
> fine.
>
> What's interesting is that the fan is 100% controlled in a Microsoft
> Windows environment. I don't like Windows and I would rather go deaf
> listening to the fan running on Debian than to use the machine with
> Windows installed.
>
> But, if anyone can help me it sure would be nice to get a muffler
> installed on this server. If anyone has advice on how to gain control
> of
> the fan I'll be forever appreciative.
>
> Here's the link to the specs-sheet on the system I have. It's
> completely
> stock with no modifications:
> http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04286423.pdf

It will depend on if there is support for the sensors. You could try
sensors-detect from lm-sensors to help you figure out what support
there is.

It might just be easier to either replace the fan or put a manual
hardware fan control in the system.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson