Re: getting sound in Sid

On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 07:53:52PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> On Sun 24 Jan 2016 at 14:29:57 -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 10:50:51PM +0100, Floris wrote:

> > > Alsa is build-in in the kernel.  pavucontrol is just a gui for the
> > > pulseaudio mixer. It is up to you if you install it or use an other
> > > mixer
> >
> > > Floris
> >
> > Floris, thanks. I understand that ALSA is present, but to run Skype I
> > need pavucontrol and pulseaudio. I installed skype:i386 successfully in
> > my 64-bit Thinkpad, but no sound. Discussions are ambivalent, but I
> > sense that both pavucontrol and pulseaudio are needed to get Skype
> > going.
>
> pulseaudio is essential to have audio with the current Skype. It is
> doubtful pavucontrol is absolutely necessary. pulseaudio can be
> controlled from the command line.

Ah, thanks, this might be the answer.

> > However, with pavucontrol I run into trouble. I find that pavucontrol
> > 3.0-3+b2 in the Debian Sid repository has systemd as a dependency. I had
> > removed systemd from my SID installation, and don't want it.
>
> systemd is not shown as a dependency of pavucontrol. What *are* you
> talking about?

Aptitude install does not list it as a requirement, but when I go to
install either pulseaudio or pavucontrol it says the following NEW
packages will be installed, and the list includes systemd{a} and
systemd-shim{a}. I suppose that if they were not mandatory they would
not have be automatically installed.

Haines