Re: How to build Debian-based wireless router

debian@semioptimal.net writes:
> That'll be quite expensive on the electric bill, but will work.

Not really.  The numbers on the back of the power supply are maximums,
not typicals.

> However, I think there are no newer Wifi-Chips with PCI, so you'd be
> stuck with 802.11a/g...

A router and a WiFi access point are two different things.

I just use an old pc running Debian as a router.  The DSL modem is
permanently in bridge mode so that I don't have to deal with the crappy
firmware in it: the router handles the pppoe.  No need for any special
software or unusual configuration.  If I had WiFi I'd hook up an access
point on my LAN on my side of the router (running Tomato or such, of
course).

--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com