Re: How to build Debian-based wireless router

Hi GC

On 22.01.2016 06:19, GC wrote:
> There's a lot of great tutorials on how to build your own router (wired) but I can't seem to find anything that covers steps on how to build your own wireless router?
> Anyone have some advice on this topic or can share some articles, step-by-step tutorials, links, etc on this?

I assume by wireless router you want to build something like the ubiquitous plastic home Router+WiFi AP, right?

deloptes is right in that you cannot use just any wifi-card, but there are plenty out there that work. Have a look into the linux-wireless wiki [1], regard the AP column. Also note that even of the chips that support AP, some do so much worse than others - avoid intel as a rule of thumb.

Once you have the hardware, you'd setup a normal router and add hostapd. Regard [2] for configuration pointers.

Beware that stock hostapd scans the spectrum for other APs and does not enable 80211n/ac if it finds anything on the channels it's configured to use. May be for regulatory reasons, but all the APs you can buy disregard that, and you can patch it out, too.

good luck
arian

[1] https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers
[2] /usr/share/doc/hostapd/README.Debian