Re: rpcbind-0.23 & Jessie

On 2016-01-23 11:43 +0100, Saša Janiška wrote:

> I put a fresh Jessie on the netbook of my wife's friend. She had some
> ancient Linux Mint and now it is going to be her first experience with
> Debian...everything is fine except the problem with rpcbind-0.21 which
> is visible during the boot (first-time experience) and explained here:

> I do run Sid and the problem is fixed there as well as in testing, but I
> do not see it in backports.
>
> What do you advise in regard?

Does your wife use NFS on her netbook?  If not, you can probably just
uninstall rpcbind.

> By looking at package's deps, I'm not sure that installing from testing
> is smart move considering we want to have stable machine with as little
> admin time as possible?

Looking at the dependencies, it seems to be possible to install rpcbind
from testing on a stable machine, otherwise you could make a backport
yourself (usually this means just a rebuild in a stable environment).

Either way, you are responsible for maintaining rpcbind on your wife's
machine, since security updates won't be automatically installed
anymore.

> Otoh, I do have zero experience using Stable and not sure whether one
> can expect to see the fix appear in Jessie in the nearby future?

It's rather unlikely that this bug will be fixed in Jessie since the
changes are rather intrusive.

Cheers,
       Sven