Re: turning off Google Chrome's warning

On 21/01/16 10:40 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:
On Thu, Jan 21, 2016, at 21:59, Frank McCormick wrote:

On 21/01/16 09:41 PM, Stephen Powell wrote:

What does chrome give you that chromium does not?

Nothing that I know of...but I thought that staying with the Google
product is just simpler. I've had chromium on this machine for a little
while and it **seems** to be Chrome in plainer clothes. So I just
might remove google-chrome and live with chromium for now. An install of
64-bit Debian is not in the cards for now.

One thing that chrome gives you that chromium does not is the built-in
PPAPI Adobe flash plugin, which you may or may not need or want.
But if you do want it or need it, you can install chromium plus
pepperflashplugin-nonfree.  Unfortunatley, there are no automatic updates.
You have to run "update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --status" periodically
to check for updates, followed by "update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --install"
if an update is needed.

That's already installed here. I guess if I remove google-chrome, I'll have to run the update procedure.

That does bring up an interesting question though.  I believe that
"update-pepperflashplugin-nonfree --install" works by downloading the
chrome package from google, extracting the built-in pepper flash plugin,
then installing the pepper flash plugin into chromium.  Will Google stop
updating the 32-bit version of the flash plugin contained within the
32-bit version of chrome?  I don't know the answer to that one.

  I would imagine if they stop updating google-chrome, pepper flash will
also go by the wayside. But we'll deal with that later.

Note that chromium does support html5, so the need for the flash plugin
is not as great as it once was.

  Good to know.