Re: ?? user in group audio -- but only root can play sound

That has to be done inside of udev, udev is the one ring that binds them all.

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016, Floris wrote:

Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 04:22:50
From: Floris <jkfloris@dds.nl>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: ?? user in group audio -- but only root can play sound

Op Fri, 22 Jan 2016 00:10:27 +0100 schreef Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com>:

udev may be having adverse impacts on abilities to play sounds from certain cards after reboot. Anyone interested may find sound devices in black listed category they don't want to have black listed. Correcting such black listing for now is beyond my capability since I haven't done enough with udev to be safe working with ityet.

Sorry, now I see you have multiple sound cards.

My fault I should have mentioned it, sorry:  That's it!

Since 2015-12-11 my /etc/modprobe/alsa-base.conf ist:
# PCH
options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=auto vid=8086 pid=9c20
# HDMI
options snd-hda-intel index=1 model=auto vid=8086 pid=0a0c

this is (if I remember correctly) from Arch wiki and should
provide a numbering of sound devices such that the analog device
becomes default (first one).  Since then I could hear music, hear
sound from movies but only till a week ago.

If I delete this file and reboot, the numbering of devices is:

card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC3232 Analog [ALC3232 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Now mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=1.0 works but aplay wav still does
not, mplayer does not without the command line switch and
interestingly mpd still works.

How to tell linux that the analog device is the default device?
(I'll come back to this mailing list when I actually want to hear
sound through the HDMI device).

Thanks a lot!  This at least gives an explanation!

Ciao; Gregor

1.
from http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards:

The newer "slots=" method

Alternatively, you can use the slot option instead of the index options:
options snd slots=snd-interwave,snd-ens1371

Then, the first slot (#0) is reserved for snd-interwave driver, and the second (#1) for snd-ens1371. You can omit index option in each driver if slots option is used (although you can still have them at the same time as long as they don't conflict).

2.
Move the unwanted soundcard to an empty seat:
find your card location with:
$ loginctl seat-status seat0

[long list]
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0
[long list]

Attach the card to an other seat:
sudo loginctl attach seat1 /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0

Now you can only use the card when you login on seat1, but as long as you don't attach a monitor, mouse and keyboard, the seat won't work. Note root can still
access the card as all users in the audio group can. (That why I asked you to
remove yourself from the audio group)

3.
Blacklist the module, so nobody can access the card.