Re: Debian "testing" is looking really great on my new "Skylake" PC

Den 01/20/16 18:56, skrev Patrick Bartek:
What if anything special like disabling Secureboot did you do to
facilitate this painless install?
Nothing really. I specified "Other OS" and enabled virtualization - that's all that I changed in the BIOS setup.

I'm buying a new notebook as a replacement for this aging desktop (8
years old, Wheezy 64-bit) in the next few months and plan to install
Stretch on it once it's Stable or a late testing beta.  Haven't
decided which make of notebook yet, but Asus is one of the brands I've
been considering.  Lenovo, Dell, Acer are some others. So, any details
of your install you can share will be appreciated.
I installed Debian Stable on a Lenovo G50-80 (i7) and a Lenovo ThinkPad x250 (i5) late last year. Both machines had Broadwell architecture. Both installs went painless. No problems at all, except that I had to use non-free/binary blobs to get wi-fi working. (Interestingly, the i5 ThinkPad outperforms the i7 consumer model on C++ compilations). I have not bought any Asus laptops recently. Acer I stay as far away from as possible. Anything I have ever bought from them have caused regrets - usually because of poor quality or very poor performance. I have no experience with Dell laptops. I used a Dell workstation last year, and it worked great with Debian Stable.

Jarle