Re: Reporting unmaintained packages

On 1/18/16, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon 18 Jan 2016 at 12:36:34 +0100, Francois Gouget wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure the developer is MIA but he does have quite a few other
>> packages to maintain so may he's swamped or just lost interest in this
>> particular package.
>> https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=Paul+Wise
>
> Paul Wise is a very active maintainer.

In fact... Pabs is "very active" over at Debian-Mentors

https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors

Rightly or wrongly, it's coming across that a potential fix may be
apparent to someone (the original poster?). If so, Debian-Mentors
would be one great place to connect up with several very active
maintainers to gain guidance on how to submit one's own patch towards
fixing a known bug.

>> Having that having out of date or missing virus signatures has security
>> implications (more for some users that others, I'll grant you), getting
>> a handle on these bugs seems quite important.
>>
>> So what's the proper way to report this issue?
>
> A bug report. After reading the existing ones.

I may not be remembering this quite right(ly), but it SEEMS LIKE the
Debian package "reportbug" offers users an on-the-spot opportunity to
submit patches pertinent to their reported bug(s).

Just thinking out loud.... again. :)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey