Re: wheezy, message log being spammed by segfaults from apt_check.py

On Friday 15 January 2016 02:37:49 Gene Heskett wrote:
> > The answer may be in the above sentence. What does apt-get update,
> > followed by apt-get dist-upgrade show? upgrade on its own does not
> > upgrade all packages. It skips kernel and some other stuff. Perhaps
> > that accounts for the differences?
>
> Will that not update me to Jessie?  I'd rather not take that step until a
> fresh spin is available from linuxcnc.org, not too long after 16.04 LTS
> is out.

No.  It will just sort you out.  You can't upgrade to Jessie without changing
your sources.list.  Do read up a bit on apt/aptitude, Gene.  You are very
confused.

Which aptitude command so upset you?  And if Synaptic and Aptitude disagree in
a fashion which suggests that one of them may be broken, then even if we
accept that hypothesis, why are you so sure that it is Aptitude and not
Synaptic which is broken??

Ubuntu can and in my experience (someone else did it, not me, but I was
involved in trying to sort out the mess) has, upgrade to the next version by
mistake.  Debian can't.  You have to change the sources.list quite
deliberately if you want to upgrade to the next version.

Otherwise, keeping it simple (there are other nuances available) you have
aptitude safe-upgrade, which will upgrade but not install or remove anything;
and aptitude full-upgrade which _will_ install and remove things.  And the
equivalent for apt-get and no doubt apt.

Lisi