Re: wheezy, message log being spammed by segfaults from apt_check.py

On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 00:27:19 +0000
Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday 14 January 2016 23:49:03 Gene Heskett wrote:

>> > AFAIK, It does use the same database. Your system seems hosed...
>> > Are you running it on the box that the OS is installed on, or on some
>> > (boot... ,whatever) client?
>>
>> Directly on the os and box connected to this keyboard, no vpn's or
>> anything else involved.

>> > press u to update.
>>
>> I did, didn't affect its faulty judgement a bit. It still wanted to
>> update nearly 300 packages.

>> > what kind of defective? broken? that means the dependencies are not
>> > met... Press e to start the interactive resolver.
>> > a and r to accept or reject.
>>
>> I'd have no clue what its doing in the background when I do that.  FWIW,
>> I had it hose the system on my laptop about 4 years ago with exactly
>> this sort of a starting point. I'll pass as its 99.99% working right
>> now.

The answer may be in the above sentence. What does apt-get update,
followed by apt-get dist-upgrade show? upgrade on its own does not
upgrade all packages. It skips kernel and some other stuff. Perhaps
that accounts for the differences?

--
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914