Re: wheezy, message log being spammed by segfaults from apt_check.py

On Thursday 14 January 2016 17:39:59 Johann Klammer wrote:

> On 01/14/2016 10:50 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Thursday 14 January 2016 16:18:08 Johann Klammer wrote:
> >> Synaptic runs on your box?
> >> Years ago, when I tried it, it would always crash right on
> >> startup.... use aptitude. It seems a lot more stable...
> >
> > Back on list where it belongs.
> >
> > I just ran it, and its obvious it doesn't reference the same
> > database of installed files that apt and synaptic use.  It just now
> > wanted
>
> AFAIK, It does use the same database. Your system seems hosed...
> Are you running it on the box that the OS is installed on, or on some
> (boot... ,whatever) client?

Directly on the os and box connected to this keyboard, no vpn's or
anything else involved.

> > to "upgrade" or sidegrade, 292 packages.  Refreshing the list didn't
> > help but it reminded me of the 4 color screens we had on the amiga's
> > back in the amigados-1.3 days.  Positively an assault on the
> > eyeballs.
>
> press u to update.

I did, didn't affect its faulty judgement a bit. It still wanted to
update nearly 300 packages.

> > But when an uptodate system is said to have 292 old or defective
> > packages on it, I'm not sure I want it mucking around in MY used car
> > lot.
>
> what kind of defective? broken? that means the dependencies are not
> met... Press e to start the interactive resolver.
> a and r to accept or reject.

I'd have no clue what its doing in the background when I do that.  FWIW,
I had it hose the system on my laptop about 4 years ago with exactly
this sort of a starting point. I'll pass as its 99.99% working right
now.

> > For what its worth, as root, an apt-get update, followed by an
> > apt-get upgrade reports 0 package to upgrade.
> >
> > From that it would appear aptitude is confused at best, broken at
> > worst.

No comment?  Seems like the above report does warrant some sort of a
reply.

> > All of these tools are, AFAIK, supposed to be using the same
> > sources.list, and the same installed list. update-manager does but
> > Obviously aptitude is not.
> >
> > I believe I'll stick to using synaptic.

+10

Thank you Johann Klammer.