Re: How to access my new fileserver?

David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> writes:

> On 01/10/2016 08:27 AM, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>> I'm just setting up a home fileserver, going through a tp-link adsl2+
>> modem and router. I've installed the base system with a 7gb /, 2 gb swap
>> and 2gb /home. I can log in as my user "foo" on the computer, and have
>> installed openssh-server, htop, lm-sensors, emacs, and screen. I've
>> rebooted and checked with "sudo service ssh status" and it shows that
>> ssh is running. The server is named "fooserver", - obviously obfuscated
>> for security reasons. Its inet address is '192.168.1.103' and that is
>> confirmed in the router.
>>
>> But I can't ssh into it using 'ssh foo@fooserver'. Every time that I try
>> it appears not to connect, just leaving a blank access line and my ram
>> is gradually being eaten away which makes this machine slow down! Not
>> good really. I can access with 'ssh -v foo@fooserver' which shows the
>> remote ssh log, but aren't able to do anything else with it. And I can
>> ping it, but haven't been able to do much else.
>>
>> How can I access it please? My intention once I've gained remote control
>> of it is to remove the keyboard, mouse and monitor, and operate it from
>> *this* machine.
>>
>> I've googled but haven't found anything that works. I set it up roughly
>> following this guide
>> http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/6398-howto-create-your-own-linux-home-server-using-debian/
>
> What operating system is installed on "*this* machine"?

Debian 8.2 on *both* machines.

Its going to get confusing, so this machine is called 'london'
fooserver = 'norwich'
foo = 'boztu'

> What is the name of the *.iso file that you downloaded, burned, and installed onto fooserver?

debian-8.2.0-i386-netinst.iso

> Log in to fooserver as foo and run the following commands (start a Terminal, if needed).  If/ when any error messages
> are shown, stop, and type everything into a reply to this message:
>
>     $ ping -c 1 foo
# ping -c 1 boztu
Unknown host boztu

>     $ ssh localhost

The authenticity of host 'localhost (::1)' can't  be established
ECDSA key fingerprint is 2e:74:df:d0:19:61:65:33:b1:e5:fe:49:8f:23.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?

> Enter password when prompted.
>
>     $ exit
>
>     $ exit
>

> Then log in to "*this* machine" and run the following commands.  Adjust the first two commands for "*this* machine", as
> required.  If/ when any error messages are shown, stop, and type everything into a reply to this message:
>
>     $ ping -c 1 foo

# ping c -1 boztu
[boudiccas:Sun Jan 10 16:24:01 @~]$ [1840]>; ping -c 1 boztu
ping: unknown host boztu

>     $ ssh fooserver

# ssh norwich
*no reply, just eating away of my ram until I Ctrl-c out of it*

> Enter password when prompted.
>
>     $ exit
>
>     $ exit

Thanks David