Re: How to access my new fileserver?

On 01/10/2016 08:27 AM, Sharon Kimble wrote:
I'm just setting up a home fileserver, going through a tp-link adsl2+
modem and router. I've installed the base system with a 7gb /, 2 gb swap
and 2gb /home. I can log in as my user "foo" on the computer, and have
installed openssh-server, htop, lm-sensors, emacs, and screen. I've
rebooted and checked with "sudo service ssh status" and it shows that
ssh is running. The server is named "fooserver", - obviously obfuscated
for security reasons. Its inet address is '192.168.1.103' and that is
confirmed in the router.

But I can't ssh into it using 'ssh foo@fooserver'. Every time that I try
it appears not to connect, just leaving a blank access line and my ram
is gradually being eaten away which makes this machine slow down! Not
good really. I can access with 'ssh -v foo@fooserver' which shows the
remote ssh log, but aren't able to do anything else with it. And I can
ping it, but haven't been able to do much else.

How can I access it please? My intention once I've gained remote control
of it is to remove the keyboard, mouse and monitor, and operate it from
*this* machine.

I've googled but haven't found anything that works. I set it up roughly
following this guide
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/6398-howto-create-your-own-linux-home-server-using-debian/

What operating system is installed on "*this* machine"?

What is the name of the *.iso file that you downloaded, burned, and installed onto fooserver?

Log in to fooserver as foo and run the following commands (start a Terminal, if needed). If/ when any error messages are shown, stop, and type everything into a reply to this message:

    $ ping -c 1 foo

    $ ssh localhost

Enter password when prompted.

    $ exit

    $ exit

Then log in to "*this* machine" and run the following commands. Adjust the first two commands for "*this* machine", as required. If/ when any error messages are shown, stop, and type everything into a reply to this message:

    $ ping -c 1 foo

    $ ssh fooserver

Enter password when prompted.

    $ exit