Re: Still Can't Mount Windows Share

On Sat, 9 Jan 2016 21:05:40 +0000, Joe wrote:

>> I've not heard cifs mounting without password but this is interesting
>>

>Yes, it can be arranged, but of course it's a bad idea unless the
>network is guaranteed (!) to be secure.

Not sure what would mean "guaranteed" for you, but two firewalls plus
a few pieces of software running on the Linux machine is all I have,
and it's always been more than sufficient. To me, a "guaranteed"
network means nothing to the outside, and this isn't quite that good.
But almost.

>And as I've said, Windows clients will silently use the current user's
>credentials if they are accepted by the server, and only request
>credentials if they are not. I don't know if mount.cifs tries this.

Even when using the `-o username={username}' switch and parameters to
override the Linux username? That can't be good. Unfortunately there's
nowhere I know of to look on the Windows machine to debug this. That
would make it a lot simpler. This can't be that hard, which is why I'm
nearly 100% positive it's a me problem.