Re: vivaldi?

On 01/03/2016 02:14 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
Well, slashdot can crash chrome just sitting there on the front page,
presumably when an attempt is made to load some off-my-screen bit of
slashdot.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/armed-militia-takeover-oregon-debate-meaning-of-terrorist/

Testing IceWeasel 38.5.0 on a fresh install of debian-7.9.0-amd64-xfce, I see a web page with lots of text and images. I do not see any error messages.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-marshal-south-dakota-shoots-kills-south-carolina-murder-suspect/

I see a pop-up/ overlay for ~10 seconds, then I see the web page.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-quiet-power-of-meditation/

I see the web page.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/activists-target-gun-makers-with-unload-your-401k/

I see the web page.

Thats 4 that give this:
Error 413 Request Entity Too Large, purported from the varnish cache
server, whatever the heck that is.

Did you click on something to produce that error message?

http://freedomoutpost.com/2016/01/isis-to-activate-thousands-of-sleeper-cells-in-2016-to-destabilize-the-west/

I see the web page.

There I found a flash, tried to play it,

Following the paragraph "Baghdadi added: ...", I see a grayed area with the text "A plugin is needed to display this content". Clicking on it has no effect.

If I browse to YouTube, and click on the top video "Coldplay - Birds (Official video)", it plays. Testing two others, they work fine. Note that I did not need to install browser-plugin-gnash, so YouTube is likely detecting what IceWeasel supports OOTB and sending a suitable video stream.

clicked on the update now
button. it went thru the download of a 32 bit version in a tar.gz,
supposedly saving it in ~/Downloads. This is the only flash file in
Downloads:
-rw-r--r-- 1 gene gene    5979889 Aug 25  2013
flashplayer_11_sa.i386.tar.gz
I have unpacked it and installed it several times, no effect.

I think you've boogered your machine. Put in another system drive (or USB stick), do a plain vanilla install of Wheezy with Xfce, take an image, and then try IceWeasel.

David