Re: Mounting a Windows Share

On 02/01/16 05:24 PM, Steve Matzura wrote:
On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 16:52:54 -0500, you wrote:

The correct mount options are half of what you're actually asking about
in this thread, so we should settle those out by the time the thread is
done with.

For the "dump" and "pass" columns, in my experience 99% of the time they
can and should be left as zeroes. (This might be the default, I'm not
sure. I've always specified them anyway.)
I put them in as 0, still no soap.

If you're running that command as root, the fstab entry should not
be necessary; if you're running it as non-root, IIRC the "specify
both mount point and device to mount" will be rejected as "only
root can do that". Either way, this doesn't look quite right.
I'm running it as root all right.
I also tried '-o user="Steve Matzura"' and got the error 13.

After trying to access the share on another Windows machine, I am now
sure this is *NOT* a Linux problem though because I can't even get
into it from another Windows machine, which means I have set up the
share incorrectly. I'll work on that and report.

Also, check lusrmgr.msc (or equivalent) on the Windows box, to make sure
you're using the actual internal Windows username; at least in my
experience, it's pretty rare for a Windows username to have a space in
it, although the _display_ name often will.
It says that's the username, just as I typed it when I installed it.

There are lots of things that can go wrong. What I found worked recently when I had a similar problem was:

#mount -t cifs -o username=<domain user account>,password=<password> //192.168.1.19/images /mnt/images

Using the DNS name returned errors but the IP address of the Windows box worked.