Re: nfs problem

> On Jan 2, 2016, at 2:56 AM, Anders Andersson <pipatron@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 1) Ditch webmin, I don't know what it is but it seems to break
> something that should be pretty simple to set up, without giving any
> feedback.

Webmin's one of those web-based GUI admin things. I use it because it usually does well, and it makes many configs quite a bit easier. It saved my life many times when I first hit Linux and IP networking.

In the past, Webmin's managed to make NFS work for me, but this seems to be one of those probs that require vi and a plea to the list...

> 2) If the problem involves some files that do not exist, please list
> them, maybe it's a clue that something important is missing.

I've looked at so many on the 'Net that I don't remember where I looked or what they were.

> 3) NFS is well documented in the man-pages, but has a pathetic
> documentation online. Try "man nfs" and "man exports".

Done, looks hopeful.

> 4) As somone else mentioned, do not mess with idmapd, since you have
> the UIDs synced already.

I'll put its config back to where it was :-)

> 5) Until a few weeks ago my main NFS server was wheezy, but I am now
> using stretch. My files looks like this:
>
> On the (stretch) server: /etc/exports contains:
> /srv/stuff   1.2.3.0/24(sec=sys,rw,no_subtree_check,mp,root_squash)
>
> On the (jessie) clients: /etc/fstab contains:
> name_of_server:/srv/stuff  /stuff  nfs4 _netdev,rw,auto,bg
>
> You shouldn't have to change any other files, really, but I can't
> remember if this has something that's not supported on wheezy.

Very useful info -- different from what Webmin wrote. I'm a bit far from having an NFS export mounted at boot, though. When it works by hand, I'll put it in.

Thank you, Anders.

--
Glenn English