Re: nfs problem

On Fri, Jan 1, 2016 at 10:30 PM, Glenn English <ghe@srv.slsware.net> wrote:
> Come on folks!
>
> Consider a modified Drake equation: (number on this list) * (date) * (% not hungover) * (% who understand NFS) * (% willing to help out a bewildered computer geek) == (surely > 0), no?
>
> OK. Leave out (date) and (% not hungover), and tell me what I've done wrong...
>
>> On Dec 31, 2015, at 4:56 PM, ghe <ghe@slsware.net> wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to get NFS going with a Wheezy server and a Jessie client using Webmin and vi. It connects, but mounts the directory and file with nobody:nogroup as the user:group (and nobody isn't set to universe read/write -- tried to do that, but NFS won't let me).
>>
>> I see from the 'Net that this is a common problem, but the solutions seem to involve (some) files/programs that don't exist on these machines. Nor in Aptitude.
>>
>> The UID:GID are identical on the server and the client, both numbers and text. I've tried both NFS4 and vanilla NFS. There seems to be no difference.
>>
>> I changed the nobody name to myself (ghe) in /etc/idmapd.conf, and created a new user (gheqw). Now ls says the directory on the client is owned by gheqw:nogroup. That doesn't make any sense to me at all.
>>
>> When I turn off the NFS mount at the server, the directory on the client goes back to being owned by me, and the file disappears (both expected behavior).
>>
>> There are too many variables here: 2 computers, many files, and far too many [SOLVED] pages on the 'Net. I'm pretty sure I've made a mess in the config files (whichever they are). Anybody know exactly what to say, in which file(s) on which computer(s), to deal with this?

Ok, I have a couple of suggestions, which should not necessarily be
implemented in this order. :)

1) Ditch webmin, I don't know what it is but it seems to break
something that should be pretty simple to set up, without giving any
feedback.
2) If the problem involves some files that do not exist, please list
them, maybe it's a clue that something important is missing.
3) NFS is well documented in the man-pages, but has a pathetic
documentation online. Try "man nfs" and "man exports".
4) As somone else mentioned, do not mess with idmapd, since you have
the UIDs synced already.
5) Until a few weeks ago my main NFS server was wheezy, but I am now
using stretch. My files looks like this:

On the (stretch) server: /etc/exports contains:
/srv/stuff   1.2.3.0/24(sec=sys,rw,no_subtree_check,mp,root_squash)

On the (jessie) clients: /etc/fstab contains:
name_of_server:/srv/stuff  /stuff  nfs4 _netdev,rw,auto,bg

You shouldn't have to change any other files, really, but I can't
remember if this has something that's not supported on wheezy.