Re: nfs problem

On Friday, 1 January 2016, 21:57, Glenn English <ghe@srv.slsware.net> wrote:

Come on folks!

Consider a modified Drake equation: (number on this list) * (date) * (% not hungover) * (% who understand NFS) * (% willing to help out a bewildered computer geek) == (surely > 0), no?

OK. Leave out (date) and (% not hungover), and tell me what I've done wrong...

> On Dec 31, 2015, at 4:56 PM, ghe <ghe@slsware.net> wrote:
>
> I'm trying to get NFS going with a Wheezy server and a Jessie client using Webmin and vi. It connects, but mounts the directory and file with nobody:nogroup as the user:group (and nobody isn't set to universe read/write -- tried to do that, but NFS won't let me).
[big cut]

It was ages I didn't write to the list but nfs always arouse curiosity ;)
First try to force nfsv3 to see if permissions are ok (v3 uses numeric uid/gid) with 'mount -o vers=3'.
If this works and you want to use nfsv4 then make sure the configuration of idmap are the same on both the nfs server and nfs client (make sure the domain is the same, you can leave the rest the original).
Also make sure the users/groups are available/the same on both the nfs server/client.

Hope this helps.

Pier

PS: you can check which version of nfs is used in /proc/mounts