Re: LXDE Display Coordination

Chris Bannister composed on 2015-11-11 19:38 (UTC+1300):

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 09:23:38PM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

>> Pasting logs and configs into email puts it wasting space in the mailing list
>> archive forever.

>> Pastebinning is temporary, a week or month or whatever the particular paste
>> host is configured for.

> So that means that searches through the archive will get a 404 instead
> of the info which they're looking for. Seems a bit silly, don't you
> think?

Not at all, as they're typically obsolete quickly, unlikely useful other than
for solving an OP's particular issues dependent on his unique hardware
configuration, looking for one or two short strings typically hard to
describe so that the help requester could ID and provide them within concise
context to prospective helpers.

When I'm doing the mailing list Googling, I skip those with long pastes or
attachments, trying to make my search time more effective by limiting
attention to those written with concision.

When stuff like full logs or grub.conf rather than snippits are attached to
or pasted in an email, I'm more likely to ignore them than work with them.
Typically, line wrapping done on an email sent makes a mess of things.
They're much more manageable in browser windows than email windows, and
separately from reply composition. And in this thread, the OP kept starting
his posts as if I were the only one he was writing to, so with no one else
continuing to try to help him, opportune time to make a request more likely
to enable me to do a better, or any, job helping further.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/