Re: convert between ethernet and usb

On Sat, November 7, 2015 12:14 am, Stuart Longland wrote:
> On 07/11/15 12:16, rlharris@oplink.net wrote:
>> In particular, my plan is to use a VerizonWireless JetPack with a i386
>> machine running IPCop2.  I envision dedicating a small Linux machine
>> with USB3 capability as a Ethernet-to-USB translator.
> Well, it doesn't need to be USB3, unless your Internet connection truly
> exceeds 480Mbps (which I doubt).

My own DSL runs just under 3.0; the basic DSL here has three tiers:  1.5,
3.0, and 6.0.  For my own line, 3.0 is problematic, because I am just over
10,000 feet from the termination point, and the twisted pair cable run is
over sixty years old.  But even 1.5 has been adequate for my needs.

> My suggestion for a very cheap solution
> would be a Raspberry Pi or similar.
>
> Hook the USB modem up to it,
> use its Ethernet port to connect to the WAN
> port of your router. ...

The Raspberry Pi sounds like the solution which I had in mind; thanks,
Stuart.  I have heard the name, but I never have seen one or read about
it.

And though I might be able to get the Pi to do everything, once I get a
signal to the RED port of an IPCop I am on familiar turf and know how to
configure and manage the system.

Searching for about an hour with google, I found devices in the range of
US$30 -- such as the Apple usb-ethernet-adapter -- which are based on
various application-specific integrated circuits.  But such some of those
devices require operating-system-specific drivers as well as power from
the USB port, and some are USB-1, so experimentation would be required.

RLH