Re: convert between ethernet and usb

On 07/11/15 12:16, rlharris@oplink.net wrote:
> In order to provide Internet access to a LAN consisting of several
> computers in a location in which DSL is not available, I am in search of a
> reliable and inexpensive way to use the USB port of a G4 Wi-Fi "hotspot"
> to feed the WAN port of a router.
>
> In particular, my plan is to use a VerizonWireless JetPack with a i386
> machine running IPCop2.  I envision dedicating a small Linux machine with
> USB3 capability as a Ethernet-to-USB translator.

Well, it doesn't need to be USB3, unless your Internet connection truly
exceeds 480Mbps (which I doubt).  My suggestion for a very cheap
solution would be a Raspberry Pi or similar.

Hook the USB modem up to it, use its Ethernet port to connect to the WAN
port of your router.  Since it runs full fledged Debian Linux, the
device is fully under your control.  You could even do away with the
router and have it feed your LAN directly.

--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.