Re: Kali, Redux

On 2015-11-05 at 09:59, David Baron wrote:

> On Thursday 05 November 2015 09:47:12 The Wanderer wrote:

>>> https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=base-files
>>
>> Perhaps more usefully:
>>
>> What does 'apt-cache policy base-files' say on your machine? Exact
>> output, please; don't just give part of the response,
>> copy-and-paste the entire thing, the way I did in my previous mail.
>
> ~$ apt-cache policy base-files
> base-files:
>   Installed: 1:2.0
>   Candidate: 1:2.0
>   Version table:
>  *** 1:2.0 0
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      9.5 0
>         500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
>         500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages

That sheds some light on things.

In your earlier sources.list, the lines for the Kali repos were
commented out. That means that any package versions which were pulled
only from those repos will show as being available only locally, with no
repo source for re-download.

I suspect that when the Kali repos were enabled, something resulted in
your upgrading base-files, and since the Kali repos had a version number
with an epoch (the '1:' at the beginning of the version number) their
version trumped the one from the official repos.

_IF_ you want to revert base-files to the official Debian version,
abandoning the Kali variant, you should be able to do it with the
following command:

apt-get install base-files=9.5

Note that if you do that, you probably won't be able to get back to the
current state, unless either A: you have the appropriate .deb file
cached (e.g. in /var/cache/apt/archives) or B: you un-comment the Kali
repos in sources.list and apt-get update again.

However, since you presumably (based on your having started this thread
in the first place) don't want the Kali packages anyway, you probably
won't consider this a bad thing.

--
   The Wanderer