Kali, Redux

So, I easily edited the text in /etc/issue to something more to my liking.
This is just text, no meaning.

Watching a cmake session, I noticed the distribution being called, you guessed
it: Kali ...

Found another file: ~$ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Kali GNU/Linux 2.0 (sana)"
NAME="Kali GNU/Linux"
ID=kali
VERSION="2.0 (sana)"
VERSION_ID="2.0"
ID_LIKE=debian
ANSI_COLOR="1;31"
HOME_URL="http://www.kali.org/";
SUPPORT_URL="http://forums.kali.org/";
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.kali.org/";

Actually a symlink to /usr/lib/os-release

So where did I get this?
Do I need it?
If  I do, what should it be for Debian Sid?

I had Kali's repos but installed none of their packages.
I recall some script with a text-mode menu for treating some of their security
packages but I never installed any of them. Script might have touched to two
files (be there any others??)