Re: Kali, Redux

On Thursday 05 November 2015 09:47:12 The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2015-11-05 at 09:41, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Thursday 05 November 2015 14:26:07 David Baron wrote:
> >> Attempt to apt-get --reinstall install base-files will produce
> >> error "cannot be downloaded." In Synaptic, the Debian symbol does
> >> not appear with the package. Maybe it is only on stable?
> >
> > https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=base-files
>
> Perhaps more usefully:
>
> What does 'apt-cache policy base-files' say on your machine? Exact
> output, please; don't just give part of the response, copy-and-paste the
> entire thing, the way I did in my previous mail.

~$ apt-cache policy base-files
base-files:
  Installed: 1:2.0
  Candidate: 1:2.0
  Version table:
 *** 1:2.0 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     9.5 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable/main amd64 Packages

> Similarly, what is the exact output you get from 'apt-get install
> --reinstall base-files'?
~$ sudo apt-get --reinstall install base-files
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reinstallation of base-files is not possible, it cannot be downloaded.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 21 not upgraded.

> Also, just to double-check: you have run 'apt-get update' recently,
> correct?
Done at least daily, cron job.