Re: Setting up Network for Xen

	Hi.

On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 18:05:53 -0800 (PST)
ray <ray@aarden.us> wrote:

> Reco,
>
> Thank you.  I am posting from the target machine.  Once I cleared up my typing errors, it came right up.  I removed NetworkManager.
>
> While researching your descriptions, I found a new tool (for me).
> #ls /sys/class/net
> lo  usb0  wlan0  xenbr0
>
> You mentioned that it is unconventional to to have the bridge get the IPv4 address from DHCP.  Is it more conventional for the usb0 to get the IPv4 address?  What are the consequences of the difference?

Simple. Xen is usually found on servers. Assigning an address to
multiple servers via DHCP will lead to all of them going inaccessible
if DHCP server goes down. Hence for servers you use statically assigned
IPs. That the convention, more or less.
Of course, it's possible to make a backup DHCP server, but that's
unnecessary complex if you have exactly one server, one DHCP server and
one client.

So - if DHCP works for you - go for it. Make sure that you can access
servers' console just in case :)

> To change it, would that mean swapping DHCP and manual between xenbr0 and usb0 and swapping their sequence?

No, you'll need to do a different thing:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug usb0
iface usb0 inet manual

auto xenbr0
iface xenbr0 inet static
	address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
	netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
	gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
	bridge_ports usb0

The only interface you'll need to touch is xenbr0, and the change
itself is dhcp → static.

Reco