Re: Anybody know why aptitude is not installed by default in Sid?

[Please don't top post on the debian-user mailing list.]

On Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 12:34:49PM -0700, John L. Ries wrote:
> And if you're installing X, then it's reasonable for Synaptic and other GUI
> admin tools to be part of the default setup.

I use fvwm, I definitely don't want Synaptic and other GUI admin tools
to be installed when I install X. Now, if by X, you actually mean a
desktop, then sure, there could be a gui-admin-tools meta package which
is pulled in by the desktop meta package. At least, that way, people who
know what they are doing don't have to clean up the mess, they didn't
want in the first place.

> Those who prefer lower level
> tools and who know enough for that to be a good decision will know how to
> uninstall

Sorry, that seems illogical to me. The reason I actually use Debian, is
so that I don't have to jump through hoops after an install.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X