Re: Anybody know why aptitude is not installed by default in Sid?

On Nov 2, 2015, at 12:45 AM, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:

>> To be honest, I see no reason at all why two package managers needed
>> to be included in standard install. If you aren't happy with apt-get,
>> just apt-get install aptitude. It seems beyond question to me that
>> having bare minimum to start with and adding things you need from
>> there is a much cleaner and better way of doing things than having
>> several tools with the same function and having to get rid of one. So
>> a very sensible change, I only wonder what was the thinking behind
>> the initial approach.
>
> Not in the base system, no, but I'd expect it to be included in any
> system which might be used by newcomers to Linux. A lot of Internet
> sites include installation instructions using aptitude, without
> mentioning any alternatives, or even that there are any. Similarly, a
> desktop system other than a minimalist one should include Synaptic.
>
> --
> Joe

+1 for Joe.

Requiring a newcomer to install aptitude before she can follow the simple step-by-step instructions she downloaded from the web — or alternatively requiring all the helpful folks who posted those step-by-step instructions to go back and modify them…  That’s not what I’d call “newbie friendly”.

Rick