Re: Anybody know why aptitude is not installed by default in Sid?

On Monday 02 November 2015 04:33:01 Rick Thomas wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2015, at 12:45 AM, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> >> To be honest, I see no reason at all why two package managers
> >> needed to be included in standard install. If you aren't happy with
> >> apt-get, just apt-get install aptitude. It seems beyond question to
> >> me that having bare minimum to start with and adding things you
> >> need from there is a much cleaner and better way of doing things
> >> than having several tools with the same function and having to get
> >> rid of one. So a very sensible change, I only wonder what was the
> >> thinking behind the initial approach.
> >
> > Not in the base system, no, but I'd expect it to be included in any
> > system which might be used by newcomers to Linux. A lot of Internet
> > sites include installation instructions using aptitude, without
> > mentioning any alternatives, or even that there are any. Similarly,
> > a desktop system other than a minimalist one should include
> > Synaptic.
> >
> > --
> > Joe
>
> +1 for Joe.
>
> Requiring a newcomer to install aptitude before she can follow the
> simple step-by-step instructions she downloaded from the web — or
> alternatively requiring all the helpful folks who posted those
> step-by-step instructions to go back and modify them…  That’s not what
> I’d call “newbie friendly”.
>
> Rick

+2 for Joe.

And because synaptic uses some x fancies that aren't available to root if
exec'd with a sudo, there is synaptic-pkexec, which asks you for you
user pw and then runs normally on your x-sessions screen IF you are
allowed to sudo.  Why this is such a closely held secret, I have NDI.

I see it as a way to discourage its use, when IMO, its the best
package-manager out there.  Aptitude?  A major PITA everytime I am
forced to relearn it.  It may be capable, but it its for sure not
intuitive.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)