Re: How can I force a full fsck on a remote system at next reboot?

On 03/12/2015 12:04 PM, David Wright wrote:
Quoting Jape Person (japers@comcast.net):
On 03/12/2015 06:00 AM, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
* Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole@gmail.com> [2015-03-11 20:44 +0000]:

On 2015-03-11, Elimar Riesebieter <riesebie@lxtec.de> wrote:
[...]
According to shutdown(8)

        -f     Skip fsck on reboot.

        -F     Force fsck on reboot.

Elimar

Those options are indeed available in the case of the wheezy version of
/sbin/shutdown, which belongs to the sysvinit package.

I am running sid / sysvinit here.

$ dpkg -l | grep systemd
ii  libsystemd0:amd64

Elimar

Hi, Elimar.

So, are you suggesting that this shutdown function (-F, for forcing
fsck at boot) is available with the shutdown command if I switch
from systemd-sysv to sysvinit, or that it is available regardless of
init system in Sid?

If you run systemd, halt, poweroff, reboot and shutdown are all links
to systemctl. No -F option.

If you run sysvinit, you should have package sysvinit-core installed,
wherein halt (poweroff, reboot) and shutdown are binaries. Their
manpages indicate support for -F.

I can't check whether it then actually works because this laptop is
running systemd; though I may be reverting for reasons that I might
outline in a different thread, perhaps "No feedback from systemd ..."

Cheers,
David.

Hi, David.

Sorry for the long quote, but I think the context is important here.

I'll look forward to your thoughts regarding reverting to sysvinit, and will look for them in the other thread.

I've switched back-and-forth between these two init systems several times. I had decided to stick with systemd simply because it was the way Debian (and practically everyone else) had decided to go *and* because I had been able to manage to find alternative ways to make a number of things work.

But the way forward has had more than one hurdle for me to jump, and I'm beginning to wonder if systemd was mature enough in the details / integration for Jessie to really be the time for the switch.

I filed a bug report.

Maybe this was an unintended consequence. If not, I'm surprised. My understanding is that the freeze, by policy, proscribes changes in functionality of packages.

Anyway, we certainly lost a feature that I was using -- whether or not that's deemed a functional change.

Thank you so very much for confirming the (probable) difference in this functionality between sysvinit and systemd-sysv. I intend to see if this gets fixed. If not, I'll probably switch all my systems back to sysvinit.

Best,
JP