Re: Fwd: Re: Have I been hacked?

On Tuesday, January 13, 2015 01:35:00 PM Ric Moore did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On 01/13/2015 05:34 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday, January 12, 2015 11:54:54 PM Joel Rees did opine
> >
> > And Gene did reply:

> >> files lying in the open like gutted bleeding fish. I don't think
> >> anyone is a "REAL security expert", except the ones breaking in.
> >> Any advances we have now is result of closing the barn doors after
> >> the cow got out. I guess we owe the BlackHats that much. :/ Ric
> >>

> >> Can I read you as saying that the black hats may be the closest
> >> thing to security experts that we have?
> >>
> >> I was thinking I agree.
> >>
> >> But I also think we are letting them define security.
> >>
> >> I keep forgetting that I don't like the definitions they seem to
> >> want to impose on us.
> >>
> >> Joel Rees
> >
> > I'm with Ric on that. We seem to have lost our "proactive attitude"
> > about security. The net result is predictable in that the lunatics
> > are now running the asylum.
> >
> > Hi Ric. :)
>
> Hey Gene! They can't keep a good man down!

Yeah, well, I had my 10 minute warning buzzer last May, pulmonary
emoblism that almost punched my ticket out of here.  But the shot worked,
no ministrokes from it, so your fav crochety old fart is still here
although on a steady diet of warfarin so I leak profusely when nicked.
And use a lot of bandaids.

Still piddling in the shop, currently making a copy of that blanket chest
on the cover of the fall 2014 issue of Fine WoodWorking.  But I am
cheating a bit because other than the table and chop saw stuff, I am
doing all the joinery and trim on my cnc milling machine.  Gotta make
that sows ear I have entirely too much money and time into making it cnc,
pay its way.  I could probably do it by hand quicker, but not as
precisely, nor as well fitted.  Its Green & Green style, using ebony
chips in square excavations for screw covers for all the screws that hold
it together.  Between the Mahogany and the ebony, I have about $450 just
in the wood.

But as I am fond of saying, stuff like this keeps me out of the bars. :)

Rumor has it you lost a foot a while back?

> Did Mandrake finally push
> up the lilies??

2 or 3 times now.  Google for mageia these days I think it is.

> Of course I am not happy with the Blackhats defining security, but if
> it weren't for them doing their "job" no one else would. I am jealous
> that I don't have their brain power.

There are some formidable talents out there, thats for sure. Combined,
they easily beat my quite decent IQ. My biggest problem is the short term
memory though.  I recognize it for what it is but can't seem to fix it
either.

> Getting too old,

aren't we all, I'm 80 now :(

> missing a limb

Heard about that, sorry too.

> and waiting for a triple-bypass. I need some stem cells.

I could use some myself, and some fresh disks in my back, arther has worn
them down to bone on bone in at least 2 places.  Anyone who says these
are the golden years, is only looking at the color of the water in the
bowl.

My heart OTOH, they spent 2 hours looking at it 2 days later in the shop,
because it was blown up to 3x its normal size from trying to pump thru
the blockage, looking for a good excuse to put in some stents or whatever
(these medics never miss a chance to enhance the bottom line do they) but
the guy doing the looking finally sat back and sighed, saying I ought to
be good for a decade or more, he flat could not find a reason to put a
zipper in my chest.

But I need to stop the warfarin before too long, my psa is north of 10.

> Glad to see
> you here, Gene. :) Ric

Running a 32 bit wheezy install with a 64 bit kernel, working fairly well
too.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)