Re: Have I been hacked?

On Tue 13 Jan 2015 at 19:13:19 +0200, Danny wrote:

> I have read with interest all the responses and followed all the links. However,
> I realized something that I think we all (well, at least myself) forgot about ...
> and that is the importance of choosing a proper username ...

You can be known by whatever name you choose. There is no imortance
attached to it.

> Authentication (usually) is a 2 step process ... as we all know ... a username
> and a password ... and since ssh is (mostly) referred to here ... we can accept that
> it is most definately a 2 step process ...

Authentication is a minimum one step process.

Your argument falls apart after this.

You identify yourself and then prove it. Anyone can claim to be you but
they may have difficulty substantiating it.

Usernames identify but do not authenticate. By all means tell everyone
what your username is, but do not give them the means to authenicate
using it