Re: Have I been hacked?

Gene Heskett wrote:
> 10 characters is entirely within the realm of being solved by john in a
> surprisingly sort time.

In order to use john you will need to be running an offline attack
against an already exposed account database.  It doesn't work as an
online attack.

> But every character you add makes it job around 62 more times as
> difficult.  ANY password I am forced to use online, has an automatic
> minimum by my own rules of 18 chars, and it its acceptable on the
> other end, may be 23 or 24.

I use a unique password on every site.  I never reuse passwords.  If a
site is cracked open and the account data exposed so that someone can
run an offline attack against the password database then it only
affects that site and not others.

> Please be aware that your banking site may appear to accept a 24 char
> password, but they will silently clip off the surplus above 12 or so.

I will shame Schwab again for silently truncating to 8 characters.

Bob