Re: debian/testing philosophie?

On 01/10/2015 at 07:21 AM, Hans wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> over the years i noticed, that from time to time packages
> disappearing from the testing repo, but that packages are then still
> in stable and in unstable.
>
> That is weired for me, as I would suppose, that a package
> disappearing in testin would also not to be found in unstable any
> more. I would also expect it to be disappeared in unstable first (as
> this is more actaual than testing), and after this in testing.
>
> The last package, where I) noticed it at the moment is kphone.
>
> Can someone explain me this strannge philosophie?

After testing is frozen in preparation for a release, there is a press
to fix any release-candidate-level bugs in packages which are in
testing, and get those fixed versions into testing.

If the version a particular package which is in testing has an RC bug,
and a new package version which fixes that bug cannot be (or is not
going to be) provided in time, then that package may remain in testing
for the release - so they remove it from testing.

However, unstable is not subject to the same freeze and the same "no RC
bugs" requirement, so there is no reason to remove the package from
unstable even if the version in unstable has the same bug. (Which it may
not; it is possible for a version with an RC-bug fix to exist in
unstable, but to also contain other changes which are not acceptable for
testing during the freeze period, and so not get migrated to testing.
People try to avoid this, but it can happen.)

The version in stable was validated while stable was still the previous
testing, and is almost certainly an older version; it may very well not
contain the same bug, and if it does not, there is no reason to remove
it from stable. Even if it does, breaking the promise of stable by
removing it may be considered worse than leaving an RC-buggy package
version in stable. (Although a fixed version will almost certainly be
made available via stable-updates or some similar form.)

Does that make sense?

--
   The Wanderer