Re: sexist content in the package openclipart2-png

I was going to respond to the original post privately, as my thoughts are off topic, but at this point, I think I need to do it publicly.

While pornography and its attendant portrayal of women, children, and even men as sex objects encourage all manner of perverse behaviors, I don't that think non-sexual abuse of women by men is one of them (it's not like readers of "Playgirl" are thought to be more inclined to commit violence against men than others). Rather, the latter appears to be more related to cultural attitudes that glorify bullying and physical punishment of perceived slights as "manly", and despise appeals to reason and compassion as weak and effeminate; combined with a general contempt for women (beautiful or not) as weaklings and inferiors. Thus, while removing sexually provacative pictures from collections of clip art *might* discourage perverse sexual behavior to a very modest extent, it is unlikely to reduce the number of wife-beaters. Treating the latter and other bullies as the common criminals they are, and ceasing to make excuses for them (together with teaching boys from a young age to respect girls and women and protect them from violence) would do a lot more.

John L. Ries              |
Salford Systems           |
Phone: (619)543-8880 x107 |
or     (435)867-8885      |