Re: Putting It All On a Stick

On Thu 31 Dec 2015 at 18:19:26 +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 11:55:08AM -0500, Steve Matzura wrote:
> > Fascinating stuff. The one thing I forgot is cp and dd are not the
> > same.
>
> Well... if you cp the image to the _device file_ it amounts practically
> to dd (but in dd you can set the block size and block count; I once

cp and dd to and from a raw device file are identical. dd may be more
flexible with its parameters but as you say

> experimented with block size dd'ing to an USB stick and seem to remember
> that there was a (speed-wise) "sweet spot" around 16K, but don't ask
> me whether this was inherent in the USB stick or depended on whatever
> other system parameters and planet alignments out there).

its advantage is nebulous. Also, how significant are the advantages in
speed with an isohybrid image? A second or two perhaps on every 500M.

There is nothing wrong with using dd but its versatility doesn't get
employed for the simple job that cp and cat do equally as well.