Re: wget log from Jigdo

On Wednesday 30 December 2015 15:55:02 Rick Thomas wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2015, at 11:34 AM, Steve Matzura <sm@noisynotes.com> wrote:
> > This is what
> > makes me crazy about anything Linux--secret knowledge that some
> > people just seem to have or know, that would never occur to anyone
> > else.
>
> Yeah, it’s a problem; but fortunately there are mailing lists like
> this one, and wikis (http://wiki.debian.org) and other resources where
> you can ask.  That’s also true for closed-source software, like
> Windows.  There’s every bit as much “secret sauce” in Windows or
> MacOS-X.  And, of course, there are places you can go for advice on
> them too.
>
> The difference is that in the Open Source community nobody is trying
> to get rich off of your lack of knowledge.  In Windows, there’s a
> whole industry built around taking your money in exchange for advice.
>
> Rick

+1000 Rick, this does not get said often enough, or loud enough.

There is one other diff, related to this.  When you ask, ask nicely and
give us as much info about your system and problem as you can. No one
here is a mind reader and knows you have a no-name pc you got from
Ollies.  And when you have have been helped, its customary to say thank
you, both when asking, and when replying to say its fixed. And leave
enough context that we can connect the Thank You, back to the problem.
That is how we learn that we were correct or not, and someone else with
the same problem, reading the list archives, can learn how to fix his
problem if he see's a msg that says its fixed, preferably with the how
intact.  Then we don't use up our energy repeatedly replying to folks
with the same problem. The fix is in the list archives.

Thanks for reading.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)