Re: Debian on Dell XPS 15

On Fri, 25 Dec 2015, Dwijesh Gajadur wrote:
> Hi everyone..I am going to get a new Dell XPS 15 laptop. I want to know if
> I will be able to install and use Debian on it properly without getting any
> issues.

A new Dell XPS 15 will be Intel Skylake-based.  Unless you are feeling
extremely lucky, update it to the very latest BIOS/UEFI *BEFORE* you even
attempt to install Debian.

Also, you likely benefit from keeping that firmware up-to-date for a while
yet.  If you cannot flash updates from Linux, keep a Windows partition
around to do it.

You have been warned.

(BTW, the above applies to any Intel Skylake-based system you want to run
Debian on).

> Has anyone ever used Debian on Dell XPS 15 laptop? Please share your
> experience.

You may have to boot with the kernel parameter 'intel_idle.max_cstate=0' if
you experience crashes.  This will drain the battery a bit more, though.

  Henrique Holschuh