systemd-modules-load inserting modules I didn't ask it to insert

Hello, and happy holidays to all of you.

I found several of my systems to report this:

  systemd-modules-load[136]: Inserted module 'ipmi_devintf'
  systemd-modules-load[136]: Inserted module 'ipmi_poweroff'
  systemd-modules-load[136]: Failed to insert 'ipmi_si': No such device
  systemd-modules-load[136]: Inserted module 'ipmi_watchdog'

and consequently, the systems appear degraded, e.g.:

  root@domine:/home/madduck# systemctl --state=failed
    UNIT                         LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION
  ● systemd-modules-load.service loaded failed failed Load Kernel Modules

Looking at the manpage(s), the list of (static) modules to load
comes from (a) the kernel command line, and (b) the
modules-load.d/*.conf files in /lib, /run, and /etc.

However, on none of my systems are any of the IPMI modules
specified:

  # grep ipmi /proc/cmdline /*/modules-load.d/*.conf /etc/modules /etc/initramfs-tools/modules || echo none found
  none found

So, where is systemd getting the idea from that it ought to load
these modules?

Thanks for any insights!

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o> @martinkrafft