Re: random reboots of my Lenovo ThinkPad (3.16.7-ckt20-1+deb8u1) (kernel stack trace)

On Thu, 24 Dec 2015 14:00:15 +0100
Staszek <stf.list.other@eisenbits.com> wrote:

>On 2015-12-22 22:18, Anders Andersson wrote:
>> First thing I do in a case like this is to run memtest86 in some form
>> on the hardware.
>
>Good point, but:
>
>1. those stack traces are always nouveau related
>2. memtest86+ yields nothing
>3. often upon logging into X, before the desktop appears, I am getting
>unexpected splash screens; they look like:
>http://people.eisenbits.com/~stf/load/20151224-bw-tiling.png , or
>sometimes that is a mangled view of what was being displayed before the
>crash+reboot.
>
>Perhaps that is a graphics card...

I have a Lenovo T520 here, with dual graphics. I found Nouveau did not
work very good for me. I run dual monitors, so I had to make Optimus
work. The best guide I found is
http://www.unixmen.com/how-to-make-nvidia-optimus-technology-work-properly-on-debian/

It makes the setup easy.

--