Re: Intel 82576 Gigabit on Debian 7 slow speed.

On 21.12.2015 09:58, David Christensen wrote:
On 12/20/2015 08:36 AM, Mimiko wrote:
The HDD's are connected thru SuperMicro SAS RAID AOC-USASLP-L8i
(PCI-E).

  http://www.supermicro.com.tr/AOC-USASLP-L8i.cfm.htm

So, one RAID card, eight SAS channels, and one 2 TB and one 1 TB drive
per channel (?).

No. One channel is connected to 8 x 2TB the other channel to 8 x 1TB.

Are you using any hardware RAID or JBOD capabilities under Wheezy?

JBOD for software raid. The windows server uses HW RAID6.

All disks are in an enclosure.

External enclosure?  That card is for drives within in the same
enclosure as the card.

Well, it is more the expansion. In same server 2U.

Where do the drives get power?

From same power as MB.

This card works at SATA2 speed, although disks can handle SATA3.

What is the make/ model of the drives?

Toshiba 2TB 3.5" MG03ACA200 SATA and Toshiba 1TB 3.5" MG03ACA100 SATA.

Try disconnecting the RAID card and drives, and benchmarking just the
SSD's.

Its impossible for now.

There is only 18RAM available as of budget.

Do you know if your amount of RAM is too much, too little, or just right?

I don't understand the meaning of this. More RAM is better, but this is what we have on this server.

zpool create -f -m none -o ashift=12 zfspool raidz2
wwn-0x50000xxxxxxxxxxx ..... (all disks).

What does ZFS report for the size of the pool?

zfs list
NAME                   USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
zfspool               11.5T  39.7G   335K  none

When you ran Windows:

1.  Which version of Windows?

Windows Server 2008 R2 x64

2.  Were the hardware and and CMOS settings identical to what they are
with Wheezy?

Almost identical. Windows server has 48GB RAM and 8 x 2TB HDD and no separate SSD's.

3.  Did you use the AOC-USASLP-L8i RAID hardware capabilities?  If so,
how did you configure it?

Windows is on HW RAID6.

4.  Did you use any software RAID, Windows dynamic disks, etc.?  If so,
what software and how did you configure it?

No.

> Do you have a laptop or desktop (or two) with Gigabit that you can use
> for testing?

Only one laptop. May be one desktop too. Its easier to setup another server with same MB but lower disk count and ram. So keep in touch. As this is disappointing for Debian to loose to windows in file share.

> You have 24 GB of drives for RAID.  How many file systems(s), and what
> size each, do you need?

There are now around 8 ext4 filesystems with different sizes.

> Are you able to move services off the Wheezy Samba server so you can
> take drastic measures?

Unfortunately no. Its a lot of data. This is only server with lot of disk space.

700Mbit/s is about 80MB/s. So I think its not intel network card the issue. Something is with samba or zfs.

Thank you.