Re: Intel 82576 Gigabit on Debian 7 slow speed.

On 20.12.2015 02:36, Frank Pikelner wrote:
> There appear to be driver issues discussed in other threads with
> respect to Intel driver and slow throughput due to interrupts and CPU
> offloading. May want to review driver parameters and look at trying a
> few changes.

Yes, I've read about that. It is written that new kernel resolve problem with Intel drivers. I've upgraded to a backported kernel and results were the same. So I reversed.

How to view driver parameters and which device's driver?

On 20.12.2015 05:24, David Christensen wrote:
> Do you mean drbd?

Yes. :)

> LUKS? Above or below md?

If LUKS you mean Linux Unified Key Setup, then I don't use id.

> The motherboard web page says 6 @ SATA2 ports. Where do you get the
> other 12? SATA2 or SATA3?
>

> What interface(s) do the HDD's and SSD's have?

The HDD's are connected thru SuperMicro SAS RAID AOC-USASLP-L8i (PCI-E). Sorry to not mention. All disks are in an enclosure. This card works at SATA2 speed, although disks can handle SATA3.

Also SSD's are new Intel disk which have SATA3, but motherboard supports only SATA2. SSD's a connected to motheboard directly.

> The motherboard supports 192 GB of RAM.

There is only 18RAM available as of budget.

> If you are running LUKS, that would explain low HDD sequential
> throughput (latency causes low random throughput) and low SSD overall
> throughput. Enable AES-NI in the BIOS settings and test again.

Enabled this settings - and no effect.

>> Simultaneous Multi-Threading: Enabled
>> Active Processor Cores: All
>> Intel(R) EIST tech: Disabled
>> Intel(R) C-STATE tech: Disabled
>> Clock Spread Spectrum: Disabled
>
> Are those the defaults? I typically reset to the BIOS default settings,
> and then change as few as possible after careful consideration and
> followed by testing.

Some are default, some are changed based on my readings in Internet.

> Without seeing your exact 'zpool create ...' invocation, it is difficult
> to comment.

zpool create -f -m none -o ashift=12 zfspool raidz2 wwn-0x50000xxxxxxxxxxx ..... (all disks).

>>> A ZFS volume with an ext4 file system? Why?
>>
>> ACL access list and future use of drdb.
>
> Perhaps you should file bug reports/ feature requests.

It will take a longer time than I will start to use drbd. If no one fired a request, or it wasn't implemented yet, then ZFS on Linux thinks it is not useful, I think.

> Improving Samba is good, but I would optimize the file system first.
> You've got a small mountain of hardware, and your disk throughput
> numbers should be an order of magnitude better.

I'm open to suggestions to optimize file system and keep the needs.